Sunday, April 12, 2015

Self Seeding Garden


My garden has become a blessing this season by proving an amazing array of self-seeded plants.

To be honest, I never thought it would really happen, but I had tried to hedge my bets by giving them a lot more time to sit in my garden in seed, well past their usability. No-one likes to be rushed, so I thought maybe the plants in my vegetable garden might like me to back off a little and let them choose their own timing. And boy did it work!!!

I have always had success with the flat leaf parsley self seeding and living with where ever it came up and gardening around it.

This year its not only parsley, but also licorice herb, coriander, land cress and fennel.

I suspect there might be a few more plant species out there too such as tomatoes, but as we are in autumn they really won't take off when winter sets in.

I'm liking this money saving gardening. I could get quite use to this.

Coriander and more amongst the leeks

Licorice herb, parsley amongst the garlic

Fennel

Part of this success I also put down to using organic loam soil mixed with vegetable potting mix and the use of coconut coir for the first time to improve soil moisture to stop drying out of beds.

I'm a recent convert to using coir in my raised garden beds. In fact, I was trialing it to see if it would be good to use in our primary school's garden as so many of the beds are dust dry. We've been desperate to find a way to keep the soil moist and the plants alive. So I volunteered my garden and now I can see why all the plant nurseries use it.

For a water wise garden, get a block of coir into your soil.

Retails around $16 per block
Simply place in a wheelbarrow, add the recommended amount of water, wait 20 minutes and then pull apart by fluffing around the edges.

You will have the best soil ever in your garden! It really is worth a try.

TIP: Saw the block in half and only do half a block at a time unless you own the world's biggest wheelbarrow.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great tip! I live in northern California, USA and I have just tons of clay. I'm hoping the coir and organic soil I add will also help break it up.

    ReplyDelete