Monday, September 1, 2014

Amazing Chinese Five Spice Recipe

I know what you are thinking: Does that spice ever make it out of the cupboard? Have you ever made Salt & Pepper Squid? This spice not only enhances the flavour, it IS the flavour. And WOW!

Having thrown out some old spices from my pantry I did not have a jar on hand so I searched for a recipe to make my own, and I found this amazing recipe and gave my own twist.

My secret? Long Pepper from Beach Organics (Middleton, South Australia).
Scored this from the Willunga Farmers Market.



Amazing Chinese Five Spice Powder

Ingredients

1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground Cloves
1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
1 teaspoon Star Anise
1 teaspoon Long Pepper
1/2 teaspoon cracked Black Pepper

Method
  1. Grind up the Fennel Seeds, Star Anise, Long Pepper and Black Pepper in a coffee bean grinder or similar.
  2. Add the ground Cinnamon and Cloves.
  3. Mix the spices together and store in an airtight jar.

Notes
The original recipe says to toast the fennel seeds first. I did not do this.
Szechuan Peppercorns are used in the original recipe.
I have substituted the peppercorns with Long Pepper and Cracked Black Pepper.



No comments:

Post a Comment