Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Self Seeding Flower Garden


I am so grateful for autumn. I can look around my garden and see the amazing effort that all of last season's flowers have given back to my garden beds. I'm talking about self-seeding flowers. Those amazing money and time savers!

I have been introducing more self seeding plants into my garden every year. I have my favourites which are the 100% reliable sprouters that also bring colour and height to my garden.

Because they are so reliable that can fall into the definition of 'weeds', so a little bit of weeding out of any unwanted plants from amongst your beds and lawn will be necessary.

So here are my top plants that I highly recommend every gardener give a go for an effortless autumn.



Top 6 Self-Seeding Plants for Autumn
  1. Delphiniums
  2. Calendulas
  3. Californian Poppies
  4. Hollyhocks
  5. Sunflowers
  6. Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
I bet you weren't expecting Parsley to be on this list. Trust me, it is such a reliable self seeder that I couldn't possibly have left it off of my list.





Unwanted Self-Seeding Fungi

Then there are those that pop up in the merry month of May, particularly in the lawn. Mushrooms!

If your garden has previously had a mushroom grow in it or your garden has had a make-over with possible tree roots beneath, your garden is very likely to develop mushrooms.

Check under bushes and around soggy areas of the garden that get very little sunlight. There are bound to be some fungi surprises especially if you have laid down any mulch to act as a weed mat to suppress weeds. It certainly does not suppress the mushroom activity. 

Remember to never eat the mushrooms from your own garden unless correctly identified by an expert as they can be highly toxic. Use a fungicide spray to treat the affected area.

Inky Cap Mushrooms
For more information about how to identify and treat mushrooms in your lawn, check out these sites:



Or check out this home remedy to neutralise the fungi in your lawn.



Remember that self-seeders are not only effortless gardening but save you money.

Happy Autumn♥

No comments:

Post a Comment