Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Dog Vomit Mold

Fresh slime mold
There's something new in my garden every month, but this find takes the cake!

I find all sorts of different fungi in my front garden (because there are no chickens out there to scratch it around). The mulch layer in the garden beds have grown practical lab specimens!

This month, however, sees a new sort of growth that is NOT a fungi but a mould.

Commonly known as Dog Vomit Mold (or Mould).
Also known as Fuligo Septica, which is a species of slime mold.

It is often found in bark mulch in urban areas after heavy rain or excessive watering.
They often appear in Spring or Summer following soaking rains.

It started out as a white mass, progressed to a dust pink, to a brown and then to a camouflage grey colour as it withers away.

Dog Vomit Slime Mold is also known to be yellow or orange in colour. Theses are often referred to as Scrambled Egg Slime.

This species is known to cause asthma and allergenic rhinitis in susceptible people.

Withered slime mold

3 comments:

  1. I had that pop up in my veggie patch once and had no idea what it was! I figured it was some kind of fungus. Now if it ever happens again at least I'll know what it is, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this was of help to you, Jess. It is a weird one. I had to do my research as the kids just had to know. Don't you just love the name? *not* :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, the name is a little unfortunate, but I have 2 puppy dogs so I can also see how it is appropriate, ha ha.

      Delete