Sunday, August 4, 2013

August, August in my garden 2013

Growing giant tasty turnips year after year!
Its been a battle to keep out the snails, green cabbage moth caterpillars as well as the brown and orange furry ones this season. Snail bait and Diatomaceous Earth have all been struggling to help control the pests. My rhubarb has been mercilessly attacked, especially the one in a container.


Overall its been a great winter here in my Adelaide garden. One of the wettest years for a long time so I've saved enormously on a watering bill. (Adelaide is the most over charged and over taxed state in all of Australia when it comes to utilities of all types!)

Rocket has been planted again as a way of controlling the soil nematodes which seem to be the cause of my tomato crops failing. The root system releases a mustard-like chemical that fight against the bad nematodes. More leeks and coriander have been planted. I never run out of recipes requiring leeks.


I have more turnips and carrots than what I know what to do with.

1. Savoy Cabbages (under netting), 2. Turnips, 3. Self-seeded Tomato in flower, 4. Fennel
I have one very determined accidental tomato plant growing in a pot at the moment and it couldn't be any more healthier. Yes, right in the middle of winter this springs up! As it was growing slightly lop-sided I decided to experiment with it. I heard that tomatoes can become more productive if planted on their side with part of the stem buried to increase root sprouting. Well, I think it must be working. Let's sit tight and see if it will fruit come Spring.

The garlic plants are all growing.


And I have welcomed back Broadbeans to my garden, once again.
Am I a glutton for punishment? They DO get rust every year here, but this year I am trialling a different variety but these are not the dwarfing type. I hope I have gotten the soil right this year.


Spring does seem to have started a month early this year. Many Spring flowering plants are already open and that was on day 1 of August!


We've added extra fresh soil to raise the level of the backyard (slowly). The grass will grow through again and there are already signs of that. With the extra rain, though, its started to develop a water course which I like to call the backyard creek. Need to fix that over time so that the lawn mower doesn't have an unexpected undulations when the grass grows back.

Thanks to a lovely wet Australian winter we know it will all settle in well.


The hens all say "hi!". Two have started laying but Sally the Isa Brown is now on strike. Its been a great winter so far, especially to have the girls START their laying in winter rather than in spring!

♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment