Sunday, June 30, 2013

Acacia Tree Root Invasion

During sheep shearing season my parents were too busy to pick us kids up from the school bus drop off point, so we had to bike it home from where the bus would drop us off.

But where did we hide our bikes? In amongst the wattle trees on a hill. Acacia is another name for wattle.

In fact, the very road we rode our bikes home along we affectionately called 'Wattle Tree Hill Road'. Back then no country roads in South Australia were named. Today its a different matter in order for emergency vehicles to find farm residents.

All the locals knew our road because it is really rather unique.
Its a road that is literally stuffed with wattle trees along the whole length.

We always wondered how they grew so well.
Now I know thanks to my neighbour's very friendly tree!!!

I spent my entire Sunday afternoon trying to find the reason why there were little acacia/wattle trees coming up right throughout my lawn and garden beds. I have hacked out a few runner before in the past when digging holes for new plants. But this dig takes the cake!

Acacias have a very aggressive root system which makes them ideal for the Australian climate. Their propagation is throughout their extensive root system. Every part of the root system needs to be removed otherwise it will simply spring up again as a great survivalist.

No sooner did I think I had found the main root, it would branch off and I found I had to dig my lawn up in a completely different direction.

I have notified my neighbours about their tree. They are very fortunate not to have the invasiveness occurring throughout their yard, although I found it springing up behind their rubbish bins along the fence line.

If you are considering an acacia for the your yard, please check with your local nursery about the less invasive varieties available.

When acacia wattle trees first appear they look very fern-like.


No comments:

Post a Comment