Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe


Australians are an unusual bunch when it comes to cooking terminology.

We don't use a 'stick of butter' (113g), but measure in grams or cup size.
We don't have canned pumpkin, we use the real thing and cook it down. (Guess work)
We don't use Rape Seed Oil, but renamed it as Canola Oil because it doesn't sound so criminal.
And we when we say 'herbs', we pronounce it with a H.

Madness! I know!

And there is one more to add to this list that is so foreign to most Australians that I felt the need to share the recipe.

We may want to make those American Pumpkin Pies,
but what exactly is Pumpkin (Pie) Spice?

Here's the answer to solve that dilemma...



Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe


3 Tablespoons ground Cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground Ginger
2 teaspoons ground Nutmeg
1½ teaspoons ground Allspice
1½ teaspoons Cloves



Did you notice the cute little jar?




I found this Anna Gare ceramic jar at General Trader ($9.95) here in Australia. The lid has an inner silicon seal to keep in the freshness. But I think that the loveliest part is the blackboard label that can be simply rubbed off with a damp cloth and renamed.

I loved my first jar so much that I went back later to purchase another.
Available in blue and red lids.

I can see so many uses for these jars; homemade mayonnaise, salad dressing, pastes and jams, not to mention spices. I bet you can think of more.

Ideal for anyone who is trying to get away from using plastic containers or needs to keep the contents in a dark place to prevent sunlight spoilage.


No comments:

Post a Comment