Thursday, December 13, 2012

History Inspires Great Self-Sufficiency

Alex Langlands, Peter Ginn & Ruth Goodman on the Wartime Farm (BBC)
I was recently having a conversation with a friend about what inspires me to try for semi self-sufficiency in my suburban backyard. I had all the cliches ready to go; I was ready to name-drop top TV chefs and standard home and garden shows, but then I thought a little more about my style of gardening and how much my childhood farm and grandpa have influenced me.

I am influenced by what I watch, and having thought it a great deal more I remembered a great series from the BBC featuring historian Ruth Goodman, Alex Langlands and Peter Ginn. I must admit, I found my style, and it is really worth checking out!

In fact, I want to you trust me - just buy one and you will see what I mean.

You may better know them as:

Victorian Farm



Edwardian Farm



Tales From The Green Valley



And new to 2012... Wartime Farm


For more information on Wartime Farm check out the BBC website or official Wartime Farm website.

If you like lifestyle documentary style programs, these are just wonderful to watch. I have the complete series on DVD and I still love to watch them many times over. They are available through eBay and many other online retailers. Check around for the best price and your region code.

What a great way to get inspired and keep up our love for the skills of old. Let's not lose them, we may need them again one day. (We will if the power prices keep going up the way they are!)

Check them out these holidays.


No comments:

Post a Comment