1/2 cup Castor Sugar
1/4 cup Water
650g fresh Rhubarb, chopped in 2cm lengths
3 large Apples, peeled and chopped into 2.5cm cubes
3/4 cup Self Raising Flour
80g Butter, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
Crumble instructions: Combine all ingredients and mix with finger tips to rub in butter to resemble bread crumbs. Creating larger lumps amongst the mix is welcome.
- Preheat over to 180C/350F (Moderate Oven).
- In a large saucepan, dissolve the castor sugar and water over a medium heat, stirring constantly with the back of the spoon. Do NOT let it boil.
- Add apple and rhubarb to the saucepan, coat in the syrup and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 5 minutes. Any longer and it will become too mushy. It should be tender but firm.
- Remove from the heat and transfer into baking dish.
- Cover with crumble.
- Bake for 25 minutes until brown on top.
Serve hot or cold either on its own, with custard or ice cream.