Fresh strawberries with either plain or sweetened Greek Yogurt. I used the sweetened yogurt from The Yogurt Shop. You can vary the sweetness to your preference. Finished with lemon drizzle!
1 cup (2 sticks) Butter, softened
2 cups Sugar
3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice, divided (1 Tbs for cake; 2 Tbs for topping)
Zest of 1 Lemon
2 1/2 cups Plain Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
8 oz Plain or Vanilla Greek Style Yoghurt
12 oz Fresh Strawberries, diced
1 cup Icing Sugar (Powdered Sugar)
- Preheat over to 160C/325F (Moderately Slow Oven).
- Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan (hole in the middle style). Alternatively a standard spring pan.
NOTE: Cooking time is twice as long if you do not use a Bundt pan.
- Sift together 2 1/4 cups of flour, baking soda and salt.. Mix in the lemon zest and set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric beater, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Alternate beating in the flour mixture and the yoghurt to the mix, until all combined.
- Toss the strawberries with the remaining 1/4 cup of flour. Gently stir them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin.
Bundt pan: 60mins
Standard Spring pan: 2hrs
- Insert a skewer or toothpick into the center of the cake; if it comes out clean it is fully cooked.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 mins in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once completely cool, whisk the 2 tablespoons of lemon juice with the cup of icing sugar powder and drizzle over the cake. (Lovely with or without the lemon drizzle - optional)
I've been begged to make it again.